Sunday, April 3, 2011

Spicy chickpea salad

Necessity is the mother of invention.  I wanted something spicy, so I assessed what was in the freezer/pantry and came up with this amazing salad!

1 can of garbanzo beans (chick peas) drained and rinsed
1/4 small onion, very finely chopped
2T chopped cilantro (I buy a lot, chop in the food processor, and freeze in little ziplocs, then defrost as needed)
~3T tomato sauce (what skimmed off of the partially defrosted leftover 1/2 can of tomatoes...)
1T olive oil
2T lemon juice
Dash of curry powder or to taste
Salt, pepper, cayenne to taste - I went with a lot of cayenne.
Optional: Sriracha sauce to taste

Mix it all up, try not to eat it all yourself.  Or do.  Some bread may be nice to sop up the leftover liquid in the bottom.  Jalapeno peppers and fresh tomatoes would have been nice, but I didn't have any.  As it turns out, I didn't need 'em.

No comments:

Post a Comment